Amref Health Africa wishes to state that ALL its consultancies are advertised on its website at www.amref.org and the national dailies where applicable. Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the selection process. Amref Health Africa therefore advises the general public to exercise due diligence when applying for consultancies.
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL (RFP)
CONSULTANCY SERVICES FOR BOARD DEVELOPMENT AUGUST 2016
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa aims to bring lasting health change to Africa. Amref Health Africa is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems. With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and West Africa providing services to over 35 countries. The organization is further supported by 10 fund-raising offices throughout Europe and North America as well as the AMREF Flying Doctors.
The Amref Health Africa in Kenya board is newly constituted and is therefore imperative to have a of the board development session so that there is common understanding among all board members.
The main goal of the board development is to acquaint the newly appointed members with the overall structure of the organization, board structure wherein the functions of the respective committees are outlined, board governance considerations alongside the legal and regulatory framework issues and a review of the strategic plan for in-depth insights on the organizations focus.
Amref Health Africa is therefore seeking the service of an experienced Strategic planning specialist to facilitate board discussions on current and future strategic initiatives for growth and sustainability. S/he will report to the Kenya Country Director.
2.0 Objectives of the Consultancy
• To guide the board through Corporate governance issues
• To guide the board on legal and regulatory frameworks in the NGO sector
• To facilitate discussions on roles of board governance and management functions and the distinctions therein.
• To facilitate strategic discussions on Amref Health Africa in Kenya’s long-term strategy and how to remain relevant given the changing global trends.
• Facilitate discussions on pathway for on-going Board development, Board roles and responsibility, as well as performance evaluation.
• Prepare a report of the decisions/recommendations after the board development retreat
3.0 Principal responsibility
The Consultant will take lead in the conceptualisation and development of an appropriate one day retreat programme in consultation with the Country Director to deliver the desired results.
• Board development program
• One day facilitation
• Comprehensive report
5.0 Desired qualifications and experience
• Master’s degree in strategic leadership and management or related discipline
• Knowledge and/or understanding of Africa’s health development needs
• Familiar with NGO governance issues , legal and regulatory framework
• Experience of having facilitated board retreats is an added advantage
• At least 10 years progressive experience in strategic planning/management and interaction at board/senior management level within an international setting.
• Understanding of macro-economic issues
• Ability to steer strategic discussions at the Board level
• Strategic thinker
• Broader understanding of global development agendas and the micro economic environment
• Excellent communicator
• Excellent facilitaor
• Drive for results
• Formulating strategies and concepts
• Persuading and influencing
• Applying technical expertise
6.0 Timeframe and professional fees
The consultancy will include preparation of necessary materials, delivery of the program and preparation of retreat report. The development programme will tentatively be held on 18 August 2016 at the Weston Hotel.
The consultant is expected to make a proposal which includes number of days required and associated professional fees.
7.0 Professional Fees
To be agreed with the consultant as stated in (6.0)above.
8.0 Closing date: Please send your proposal to Tender.Kenya@Amref.org latest by Monday, 8 August 2016 at 12 noon.